Close this search box.
Adult and child with FASD smiling behind inflatable picture frame

Frequently Asked Questions

My child is struggling at school, what kind of support is possible?

This section focuses on England. Here are links for:

It is critical that a child with FASD has appropriate support in all levels of their education. In England, schools are required to make ‘reasonable adjustments’ even if there is not an Education, Health and Care plan in place.

According to the Government: “An education provider has a duty to make ‘reasonable adjustments’ to make sure disabled students are not discriminated against. These changes could include providing extra support and aids (like specialist teachers or equipment)….All publicly funded pre-schools, nurseries, state schools and local authorities must try to identify and help assess children with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND)…. All universities and higher education colleges should have a person in charge of disability issues that you can talk to about the support they offer.”

An Education, Health and Care (“EHC”) needs assessment is the first step toward an EHCP.

According to IPSEA, “If a local authority (“LA”) is requested to carry out an EHC needs assessment by a parent, young person, school or college, they must consider:

  • whether the child or young person has or may have special educational needs (“SEN”); and
  • whether they may need special educational provision to be made through an EHC plan.

“If the answer to both of these questions is yes, they must carry out an EHC needs assessment.

“This test is set out in the law (section 36(8) of the Children and Families Act 2014). This means these are the only questions the LA should be asking when considering whether or not to carry out an EHC needs assessment.”

If you are initially turned down, appeal, appeal, appeal.

Education, Health and Care plans According to Government, EHCPs “identify educational, health and social needs and set out the additional support to meet those needs.” They are legal agreements between you and the local authority, not the school. EHCPs go to the age of 25. They include for example, supported internships and access to further education as well.

For additional support:

IPSEA offers advice and has extensive resources on their web page.

Council for Disabled Children provide EHCP resources.
Local support in England:

  • SENDIASS – Google for your local SENDIASS (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Information Advice and Support Service) – they can help advise you and come with you to meetings.
  • Local Offer – google your area + ‘local offer’ for a listing of all local support for those with special educational needs and disabilities, including a list of local specialist schools and respite. To see an example of a local offer, click here for Stockport’s local offer.

National FASD favicon

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By viewing this website you agree to the cookie policy and terms and conditions.