Close this search box.
Screenshot 2020-09-08 at 20.35.59


People with FASD may be eligible for disability benefits.

It can be confusing to understand which benefits apply.  

This benefits calculator from Turn2Us (shared by Family Fund) might help.

For support in applying you can contact The Citizens Advice Bureau or SCOPE.  

  • Benefits
  • Tax credits
  • Payments
  • Grants and concessions

Subject to eligibility, benefits could include:

  • Universal Credit
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Depending on the circumstances, you might also be able to get:

  • The disability element of Working Tax Credit, if you work and are getting PIP or DLA(sha

Some people with FASD also may be eligible for the following:

  • Exemption from paying vehicle tax
  • Parking benefits – Blue Badge
  • Disabled persons bus pass orrailcard – if in receipt of DLA, PIP, hearing or visual impairment
  • Help to buy or lease a car from the Motability Scheme

Home and housing

For those assessed by their local council as needing care and support services, they may be eligible for:

  • Direct payments- allowing you to buy in and arrange help yourself instead of getting it directly from social services
  • Disabled Facilities Grants- which is money towards the costs of home adaptations to enable you to continue living there


Those on a low income may be eligible for Universal Credit and could get help with housing costs. They also may be eligible for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction from their local council.

For those in employment

A low salary may be topped up by claiming:

  • Universal Credit
  • Income Support 
  • Working Tax Credit


An Access to Work grant can be applied for to access:

  • Special equipment, adaptations or support worker services to help you do things like answer the phone or go to meetings
  • Help getting to and from work
  • Mental health support
  • Communication support at a job interview(for example, a British Sign Language interpreter or a lipspeaker)

VAT relief on certain goods and services

Some people do not have to pay VAT on certain goods and services if they’re just for their own use and they’re disabled or have a long-term illness.

For support in applying for benefits you can contact:

National FASD favicon

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By viewing this website you agree to the cookie policy and terms and conditions.